The Pittsburgh Pirates 2015 season came to a disappointing end at the hands of Chicago Cubs in the NL Wild Card Game, but that doesn’t mean this season should be forgotten. The Jolly Roger was Raised an astonishing 98 times this season. 53 of those wins sent the hometown crowd home happy. There was a lot of exciting baseball played on the North Shore this summer, and as always the walk-offs were the most exciting games that will live on in our memories the longest. The Pirates gave us 11 such victories this season. Here are all 11 of them. Enjoy!
2) June 14, 2015 – Same teams, same score, same exact type of hit. This time it was Josh Harrison playing the hero in the 11th inning.
3) June 26, 2015 – Jordy Mercer treated an old friend very unkindly when he doubled home the winning run in the bottom of the 10th inning to give the Pirates a 3-2 win over the Braves. The losing pitcher was former Pirates’ closer Jason Grilli
4) July 6, 2015 – Pedro Alvarez knocks in the winning run with a single to RF to beat the Padres 2-1 in the bottom the 9th inning
5) July 11, 2015 – This was the most memorable moment of the season. The Pirates trailed St. Louis by a run in the bottom of the 14th inning. Neil Walker led off with a single and was followed by this home run to CF by Andrew McCutchen to walk-off the rival Cardinals who the Pirates were chasing for 1st place in the NL Central Division
6) July 12, 2015 – Just a day later the Pirates would do it to the Cardinals again. In the final game before the All-Star Break the Bucs rallied for 3 runs in the bottom of the 10th inning off of Cards’ closer Trevor Rosenthal. Gregory Polanco provided the winning hit by knocking in Jung Ho Kang.
7) August 7, 2015 – Pedro Alvarez played walk-off hero for the second time in the season with this game winning single to beat the Dodgers.
8) August 18, 2015 – This was perhaps the wildest game of the season and featured the most unlikely hero. The Bucs blew a late 5 run lead against the Diamondbacks and were forced into extra innings until Pedro Florimon drove in the winning run in the bottom of 15th inning with this trip…trip…triple!
9) August 22, 2015 – The Pirates had just 3 hits in this game, but all of them were solo home runs including this drive by Starling Marte with 2 outs in the 9th inning to down the Giants 3-2.
10) September 13, 2015 – The Pirates rallied from an early 6-1 deficit to take the Brewers to extra innings. Josh Harrison capped off the comeback with the game winning hit in the 11th inning.
11) October 2, 2015 – Another Marte Partay! Starling Marte hit his second walk-off home run of the season, this time in the 12th inning against the Reds.